Human Resources Training Products
Tall Ships: Building Effective Teams
Teams exist in practically every type of work environment; research tells us they become high performing when they differentiate themselves in seven key performance areas.
Theory and Development
Learn the purpose of these essentials and how they are each dependent upon the other to achieve success:
- Clarity: an understanding of the team’s purpose, expected outcomes, roles, responsibilities, and stakeholder expectations
- Capability: having the necessary skills and knowledge (or ensuring individuals acquire the necessary skills) to complete tasks efficiently and appropriately
- Collaboration: an understanding of how to work together and use resources effectively to achieve team goals
- Commitment: a high degree of dedication to the team’s mission and to each other
- Communication: an understanding of positive communication practices, including active listening and giving and receiving feedback
- Continuous Improvement: commitment to constantly enhancing work processes and team effectiveness
- Creativity: conditions that encourage diverse thinking, new ideas, and innovative solutions
Tall Ships can be used as a standalone learning workshop or integrated into a larger training event. The design can be easily customized to address specific organizational issues or needs such as change management, leadership development, process improvement, quality awareness, corporate consolidation, and safety awareness.
How it works
Three game rounds reveal the team dynamics that impact team effectiveness.
- In round one, teams are asked to assemble the tallest ship mast possible in the least amount of time. Lessons learned from this round are discussed and applied to the Seven C’s model.
- Round two challenges teams to rethink their strategy and build yet a taller mast in the same amount of time, but at the lowest cost. Following a team performance assessment and debrief, teams make one last attempt at the task, assembling the mast according to new specifications and requirements.
- Finally, an action-planning phase provides teams and team members with an opportunity to improve their performance.
What to order:
Each Complete Game includes materials to simultaneously train three teams of five to seven participants.
As always, your account representative is available if you have questions or need assistance determining your materials needs.
Key Training Points:
- Practice and understand the seven skills critical to effective teamwork
- Identify strategies to improve team performance
- Learn how to apply the seven skills in an actual team scenario
Product type: Game
Available languages: English